Tuesday, March 8, 2011

New Addition

Well I have decided to start a family blog since we have so much going on these days. I also thought it would be a great idea to allow family and friends to know what is going on in our lives as things seem to be changing daily around here. I figured it would also allow everyone to see pictures of our new baby boy and watch him grow as we learn and discover new things. My plan is to hopefully update this blog often.
So let me catch everyone up on what has been going on in the Krefting Family. Well 9 days ago Colin decided that he was ready to come into the world. I had just finished shopping with my mom and had come home to take a little nap. When I thought this is weird I had just gone to the restroom a couple of minutes before. Well I guess my little man wanted to have a February birthday like his daddy. So after about 4 hours and a trip to Babies R Us, I decided to call the doctor to see what I needed to do since I thought my water had broke. The on call nurse told me I need to go to Labor and Delivery and they would run some test to see if my water had broke. I got off the phone with her and told my mom she might want to hold off on dinner as I have to go to the hospital and get checked out. Pete jumped off the couch and I told him it would be just a little bit as I wanted to take a shower just in case it was my water that broke because I knew it would be a while before I could get another shower. So after my shower, Pete and I took off for the hospital. Because Colin has his own agenda I had to call work to let them know what was going on (see I was on call for work this weekend). I also had to call Julie and let her know what Colin had decided to do, see Julie was to be induced that Friday but because the hospital was full she had to wait until Monday. So after they ran some test they told me my water had broken and that I was having contractions we would be having a baby soon. WOW! I was not expecting this as I still had so much to do before he was to come and also I thought that the contractions would be painful. So I called mom and dad and they came up to the hospital along with Julie and Clint. We hung out for a while then the nurse came in and said that my actual doctor was on call for Sunday so we would just spend the night and they would watch me and start the medication to increase the contractions in the morning.
Sunday  February 27, 2011
Well at 7am Sunday morning they started my medication. I had a wonderful labor and delivery nurse. She had been a nurse for about 30 years she said and she knew a lot of tricks to help my labor go so smoothly. I also had a wonderful anesthesiologist who gave me my epidural in one stick and it worked wonderful. So with Peter, Julie and my mom in the actual room and my dad behind the curtain at 12:42pm my beautiful baby boy came into this world weighing 6.7lbs and 18.5” long. Peter was able to cut the umbilical cord and I sent him with to watch Colin as they took care of him and then took him for his first bath. Once we got up stairs to our room we had a few visitors and then we had so time by ourselves just the three of us. It was a wonderful experience and I will treasure that time together. Well on Monday afternoon Colin got to meet his first friend Owen Vandiver (Julie’s third boy). We got some pictures of them in the nursery together and it was great to have some company and good laughs. Never would I have thought that we would have children less than 26 hours apart.
We came home from the hospital on Tuesday afternoon.  I wasn’t sure how our coming home would be as this would be a big adjustment for Rusty and Savannah. Well as I could have told anyone Rusty smelled Colin’s carseat up and down and then went about his business. Savannah was a little more curious but after about 10 minutes did not seem to really care either way. Tuesday night was rough for Colin and I as he had to get use to the cradle and being in a new surroundings. We had an appointment at 9am on Wednesday at the pediatrician’s office for a weight check. I mean who gives a new mom a 9 am appointment. We were rushing to get out of the house but lucky for us the office is only 10 minutes away. At the office Colin had lost a little more weight and was down to 5.11 lbs and was looking a little yellow so we had to go get labs drawn. I know for most new mom’s this would have been a tear jerking episode and I even thought to myself what is wrong with me I am not even upset or crying about what they must do to by baby. Well his lab level was up so the nurse called and said place him in a sunny window a couple times a day and we will recheck the levels and his weight tomorrow. Well to make a long story short it was high the next day so we continued the sun in the window treatment ( which has been hard because it has been cold and rainy here). We went back Monday and he was back to his birth weight and his color looked better.
Peter went back to work on Thursday so that has been a little bit of an adjustment being home all by myself with Colin especially because I can’t do the little things like shower until someone get home to watch him. We are currently on a good schedule so I am not going to complain about that. We eat between 9:30pm and 11pm and then get up between 2-3 am and then again around 7am. So I am getting a few good hours of sleep at night. Overall I am enjoying my alone time with my little angel but I will be glad when flu and cold season are over with and it gets a little warmer so we can get out for an hour or so each day. Well little man is getting up so I must go for now.

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you for everything that you have been through! You are an amazing mother and an awesome friend! I look forward to our boys growing up together! I love you and your precious family!!

    ReplyDelete